Our Family

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

No more crying!

It started about 3 weeks ago.  Lincoln would cry every day when we would drop him off at daycare.  He would walk in the room, and burst into tears.  Then, we would go and press his little face up against the glass patio door and whale as he watched us leave. 

Worst feeling in the world for a parent.

Then, it got worse.  He started crying before we even got in the door.  We even had 2 days were it started in the van - he didn't want to get out of his seat.  He even re-buckled his seat belt so I had to pry him out.  Then, he clung to me the whole walk in.

I wanted to quit my job and stay home with him forever.    Then I remembered all the things he has learned at daycare that I wouldn't have even known to teach him.  And I listened to my gut, which told me it was just a phase and he would outgrow it.

But it was a tough few weeks!

The switch finally flipped last week.

Brian was home all week with strep, so I was single mom with the daycare drop offs and pick ups.  I think the change of routine was good.  It was a little more hectic in the mornings trying to get everyone fed, dressed and out the door on my own.  Evidently I said more than once that we had to get going cause mommy had to get to work, and Lincoln picked up on it.

It was mid-week when I heard Lincoln say it in the car.  "Mommy has to go to work.  I go to Toddlers".  Good thing I had toughened up and realized everything is as it should be, or that would have totally pushed me over the edge to stay home.  It helped him deal with his separation anxiety.  Plus, Miss Kathy was good about distracting him when we would drop him off - taking him to get a book. 

I'm happy to report that we haven't had any tears this week.  He still says Mommy has to go to work from time to time, and I'm ok with that.  He now walks in the daycare room, still goes to the window, but stands there and waves and smiles at us.  I love that little smile.  And I love the bigger smile on his face when we pick him up even more!


1 comment:

  1. Nothing seemed to work for his meltdown on Thursday at Lyn's!

    ReplyDelete