Our Family

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Beautiful weekend

This past weekend was one of our most productive yet enjoyable weekends this year.

We started off the weekend in true summer style - grilling.  We grilled chicken breasts, zucchini, mushrooms, and the best - my new favorite fruit pineapple! 

The boys went to bed at their usual time shortly after 8, and Brian and I curled up on the couch to watch a movie.  About 20 minutes in, Brian was asleep, but I enjoyed the movie. 

Saturday morning, the boys were up bright and early, just before six.  Since Brian got some extra rest the night before, he got up with the boys.  I slept for a little longer, and when I got up I was very happy to find Brian had tidied up a bit, and had some laundry started.  The boys were finished with breakfast too!  Brian took the boys to run a few errands, and it was pure heaven!  I was able to get some things put away around the house, and start cleaning without two little distractions.  By the end of the day, the house was nearly all cleaned, and Brian (hopefully) fixed the evespouting and drain pipe that keeps flooding our basement. 

Sunday however was the best day of all.

Lincoln woke up around 5:20 Sunday morning.  Brian went and got him out of his bed, but Jackson started fussing.  So, Brian sent Lincoln to our room.  He crawled in bed with me, and cuddled - not for long, but long enough.  He giggled, and wanted me to "play tent" (pull the covers up over our heads), and I loved those few special moments with him.  Brian and Jackson followed shortly, and we all snuggled in our bed together.  We decided the night before that if the boys were up early again, we'd just get around and go to church at 7:30.  So, that's exactly what we did.

The boys weren't great in church, but they weren't terrible either.  Some fellow parishioners were surprised to hear such little voices say "Look Mommy - it's Jesus!  See him up there?", but it makes me proud.   

After church, we headed to the grocery store.  The boys were really good, and I still love seeing how excited they get when they see the fishies and lobsters.

After the store, we went home to put the groceries away.  We packed a lunch, and headed off to the park for a picnic and wagon ride.  It was a perfect day.  We found a sunny spot on top of a hill to spread our blanket out and have our picnic.  The boys were fascinated with the butterflies and the airplanes flying overhead.  We finished our lunch, and hit the trail.

The trail around Sharon Woods is about 2 1/2 miles long.  We figured the boys would walk to begin with, then get tired and graciously sit in the wagon and enjoy being pulled the remainder of the way.  Boy were we wrong!  Jackson walked the whole time, and even pulled or pushed the wagon almost the whole way.  Lincoln walked quite a bit, but got scared when he could see the majority of the lake.  He really didn't like the idea of THAT much water!  So, he alternated his time between walking, asking Mommy to carry him, fighting with Jackson over pulling the wagon, and riding piggy-back with Mommy.

As challenging as our walk was at times, there were other times that were perfection.  My boys continue to amaze me with the innocence of young boys, and the crazy things they come up with.
  • Shade - as an adult, we understand that trees are tall, and they provide protection from the sun.  I never considered how a child sees it.  As we walked along, I noticed Lincoln saying "Dark Mommy", then he would say "Light on.   Light off."  He was noticing how the sun was shining down on us at times, but then it was gone and "dark" at other times.  I loved how he associated it with a light switch. 
  • Uninhibited joy - the trail around Sharon Woods is hilly.  Jackson loved pulling the wagon, and he wasn't intimidated by the hills at all.  He pulled the wagon up some of the steepest hills there without help, and insisted on pulling it down the other side too.  Going down hill is actually more challenging, as the wagon would get going so fast, and Jackson's little legs were a peddling away.  He was practically running to stay ahead of the wagon - laughing and smiling the whole time.  He didn't have a care in the world, while Brian and I were imagining the wagon running him down, and praying he didn't lose any teeth, and the blood was minimal.
  • More water - like the shade, Lincoln didn't quite understand the concept of the lake, and how we could see it, then it was gone, then we would see it again.  I can't even tell you how many times I heard "more water" or "another water".  He thought that every time he saw water, it was a different body of water!
  • Determination - I've said for a long time that Jackson looks like his daddy.  It's really hard for me to see anything that resembles me in that little face.  But yesterday, I saw qualities that our little man definitely got from me.  Jackson decided he wanted to push the wagon instead of pulling it - but he didn't want anyone to pull it.  Brian told him over and over that it wouldn't work.  Jackson simply kept telling him "I can do it Daddy."  And sure enough, he did.  He figured out how to push the wagon, and keep it going in the right direction without anyone pulling it.  I pity anyone who tries to tell this little boy that he can't do something, or that something can't be done, because he will be determined to find a way to prove them wrong!
Needless to say, we were all exhausted after our walk.  We returned home, the boys drank their milk, and we took a family nap - for nearly 2 hours!

After our nap, I snuck out to run a few errands.  The boys needed more shorts for the summer, and I had a few baby gifts I needed.  I enjoyed the time out alone, but didn't dawdle too much.  I miss my boys when I am away from them.

The rest of the evening was usual - I made a nice dinner, gave the boys a bath, and we read books before putting them to bed.  Later that night, my husband was a peach and washed the dishes while I prepared dinner for Monday night.  I don't think Brian will ever know how much I appreciated his help with those dishes!

If only every day could be like that - spending time outdoors with the three most important guys in my life.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Lincoln's just like me - I don't like that much water either! Scares me!

    ReplyDelete