Our Family

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A day to remember...

It is pretty rare that I get to spend time with just one of the boys, and when I do, they are usually sick.  But even when they aren't feeling well, it is still an opportunity to make memories.

I was home with Jackson yesterday and today.  He started running a fever in the night on Monday.  Motrin would take it down, but it was coming back in just 4 short hours.  So, yesterday was the usual sick day...giving him motrin for his fever, cuddling with him (which is very unusual for Jackson), and wondering if I should take him to the doctor.  I gave in and took him at 4:00 because he just wasn't himself.  Thankfully I did, as he has an ear infection - his first ever.

Although we had given him his medicine, last night was rough.  He woke up shortly before midnight - fever in tow again.  I gave him another dose of his antibiotic and some motrin, and put him back to bed.  But it wasn't long till he was back up again.  He just wants to be close to someone...so Brian slept in the office with him till 3:30, tried to put him back to bed, then brought him to our bed as he wanted his mommy. 

So, the day started out with a great memory.  I woke up before him, and just listened to his breathing.  So peaceful.  He woke up around 7:30, and was my happy little boy.  I asked him if he wanted to get up, and he said "No.  Stay here with Mommy."  Who could argue with that?  He jabbered a bit, and snuggled way down in the covers for a while.  When he was ready for breakfast, he told me.  Wow, these are the days.

He didn't eat much breakfast, but drank all his milk, so I was happy.  He didn't have a fever either, so another bonus!  We played a bit, and he destroyed the living room throwing toys all over the place.   We chatted, and played, then picked up toys together.  A happy, easy going morning.

He ate really well for lunch - 2 helpings of green beans and some meatloaf.  After lunch, he had his milk, watched Calliou, and when I asked if he was ready for a nap, he shook his head yes.  He went right down for his nap too - not a peep!

When he woke up, I was finishing getting ready, and he asked to brush his teeth with me.   It was sweet.  As I was getting him dressed, he looked at me and said "I hold you Mommy".  I picked him up, and he hugged me so tightly, and I was taken back a few years.  Lylah always said the same thing to Lyn when she wanted held.  It was very very sweet.
We headed out to Sam's club, as we were a little low on Kleenex.  He wanted to put his sunglasses on, and actually wore them on the drive to the store and part way through the store.  He was so cute.  He was very good in the store, so after we checked out, we got a soft pretzel and shared it. 

After our shopping trip, we came home.  Around 5:15, I needed to start getting dinner ready.  Jackson accompanied me to the kitchen.  He handed me carrots to peel for a little while, till he decided it was more fun to just put them in the water in the sink.  Then, he very carefully handed me mushrooms one by one for me to clean to add to our steak fajitas.  He took his job very seriously.  He was a great helper in the kitchen!

He loves to be the little helper!

And even now, as I return to my writing after calming Jackson down and putting him back to bed, another sweet moment to share.  I just love holding my boys in my arms, and rocking them to sleep.  I love watching them return to such a peaceful place, knowing that they are safe in mommy's arms.  There is nothing in the world like watching your baby sleep in your arms.

So, my day ended as it began, watching my baby sleep, and that and all the precious moments in between I will cherish for years to come.

And I'm secretly hoping for another sick day soon so I can make more memories with my boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment