Our Family

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Smart babies

A few weeks ago, Lincoln ran a little bit of a fever, so we kept him home from daycare the next day.  It was very different taking just one little boy to daycare.  Jackson seemed fine in the van on the way to school, although he did keep looking at his brother's empty car seat and saying "Lincoln?" in his sweet little voice.  He was fine until we got into the building, and I started to unzip his coat - then he completely burst into tears.

Jackson is my creature of habit and routine.   He can get upset by the simplest little change in our schedule.  I knew he would be fine, so I handed him off to a caregiver, and left as I knew the sooner I left, the better he would be.

That afternoon, I went to pick Jackson up from daycare by myself again.  He had a great day, and was the happiest little man to see me (and was anxious to see his brother and daddy).  The ride home was one that I don't want to ever forget.  Usually, Lincoln is the chatty one in the car, but without him there, Jackson stepped right up.  I quickly heard him singing his A-B-C's, and I was astounded when he sang them all the way through the letter I.  Yes - I!  And he did it all by himself!

Hearing those precious letters come out of his mouth took me back two and a half years, which seems like a lifetime ago now.  It was our "transfer" day...the day the doctors put 2 little embryos in my uterus, and we prayed and prayed that it would result in a baby.  Before the embryos were transferred, the nurse was talking us through everything.  We already knew that we had 5 embryos in total.  Our nurse (sweet Mandy) told us that we had very smart embryos - they were all A's - which is the highest rating.  We giggled at the time at the thought of us having "Straight A's", but reiterated that we would love any baby, we didn't need super smart ones.

Well, our prayers were answered 2 fold, and hearing my amazing little man sing his A-B-C's brought the letter comparison back very vividly.  Thanks to Mandy and all the doctors who selected the best embryos in the world for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment