Our Family

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I come back to you

Being a working mom is tough.  Feeling torn is a constant state. 

Daycare teaches the boys more than I could ever teach them.  But what kind of mom lets someone else raise their kids?  Each time I see a diaper rash, I question the care they are getting.  When the boys have a new scratch or bite mark, I get concerned about having them be around other kids.  I wish that I could keep them home.  I can protect them at home.  I would take care of them better.

Reality slowly creeps back in, and financial responsibilities and mental stability win out.  The boys are well cared for at school, and watching multiple 2 year olds isn't easy.  Quality of time more important than quantity.  The boys have developed social skills from the group atmosphere at daycare, and are advanced with their language and logic.

Even still, sometimes a mom just needs to know that her kids are ok with going to daycare.

Lincoln started giving me that reassurance a few weeks ago.

The boys are always smiling and giggling when we pick them up from daycare.  They are genuinely happy to see us, and ready go to home.  We love this, and love that their teacher has even commented on how happy they are each day to see us.  It was just a usual day of picking the boys up from school...both of the boys climbed in their seats and got buckled in.  We were pulling out of daycare when I heard Lincoln say, "See Mommy.  I come back to you."

I was a bit startled at first, and I didn't quite understand what he meant - so I asked him.

He very calmly responded by telling me that he came back to me - just like he does everyday.  He goes to Chickadees, but at the end of the day, he comes back home to Mommy.  He doesn't have to be afraid - Mommy will always be there for him at the end of the day, to take him home, feed him, bathe him, hug and kiss him, and to tell him how much she loves him. 

He proceeded to tell me this same simple sentence for over a week.  Each time, my heart melted for my little man.

And I thank God above that each day, he always comes back to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment