Our Family

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Leveling the score....

Being a parent is hard.  Being a parent of multiples (even more than one child, even different ages) is harder. 

I am one of 5 kids.  Now that we are all grown, we often times razz my parents about playing favorites. 

"You made HER favorite meal.  Well, she always was your favorite."
"He got a bigger piece of cake than me - there you go babying him again."

My mom has gotten pretty good at replying to these insinuations over the years..."I baby all my kids, just at different times." or "Of course she/he is my favorite....at least today.  Maybe you will be tomorrow."

With twins, I find it hard to really keep things "equal".  They have the same birthday, and rarely agree on what they want to eat, so how would we choose who's favorite meal they get?  They are learning basically the same things at the same time, so we can't make a big deal about accomplishments without making the other one feel bad.  Even on this blog, I try not to post a story about one without having a story about the other one too.

It's hard to be a parent of multiples.  Especially twins.  Especially twins with VERY different personalities!

From time to time, Brian and I discuss the equality balance.  Often times, we feel we have a lot of stories about Jackson.  Is it because....
  • he's really learning more things than Lincoln?
  • he has the more dominant personality? 
  • he's more of a "momma's boy" vs. Lincoln is more of a "daddy's boy"?
I don't think it is any of those, yet all of those.  The boys HAVE their own personalities, and they shine through at different times.  Recently, I could write stories about Lincoln every day.  It's all cyclical.  And I hope that some day when the boys read this blog, they realize that we love both of them equally....it's just that certain things that EACH of them do have stuck out to us.

So, I'm just going to share stories, and quit trying to make sure I keep things equal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment