Our Family

Friday, August 17, 2012

Role reversal

Brian and I have been trying really hard to limit the amount of TV the boys get to watch each week.  The boys have gotten into a phase where if the TV is on, they are glued to it.  We want to make sure they stay active, and don't become couch potatoes.

So, we read more books, have tickle fights, and play with our toys more.

The past 2  weeks, it's been all about reading books.  We let the boys pick out which books they want, and we read them to them before we go to bed.  One of their favorites is a book we got them for their first birthday called "It's My Birthday".  The book has lots of animals in it, and it's all about making a birthday cake - two things that the boys LOVE.  So, we read it over, and over, and over again.  I've read it so many times that I've had to start making more up to go with the pictures to keep it fresh and new. 

Earlier this week, after reading this book at least 3 times that night alone, Lincoln begged me to read it again.  Dreading the thought of reading it a 4th time, I asked him to read it to me.  I thought he would just sit there and flip the pages, and point at the animals and tell me which animal it was, but within about 10 seconds I couldn't take my eyes (or EARS) off him!

Here is how the story goes                                                          Here is what I heard
It's My Birthday                                                                          It's My Birthday

And I'm going to make a cake                                                     Make a cake
I need some eggs.  I'll get you some eggs, said the chicken           Need to get eggs from the chicken
I need some flour.  I'll get you some flour, said the bear                We need flour.  Thanks Mr. Bear


The story continues with the other ingredients, and he always knew what ingredients each animal brings.
My favorite part though was when he included some of the stuff that I had made up earlier in the night!  My face hurt from smiling, and I just kept looking at Brian and saying, "Do you hear this?  Are you paying attention?"  He was, and his smile was almost as big as mine.

If we didn't know it before, we surely know it now.  These boys are watching AND listening to everything!  We need to be on our best behavior at ALL times!








No comments:

Post a Comment