Our Family

Friday, December 14, 2012

Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

As a new parent, we were very eager to get the boys eating table food.  Baby food looks and smells disgusting, and giving the kids regular people food was so much easier!  However, we were hesitant to give them anything and everything.  We were concerned about their digestion.

Luckily, we mentioned it when we were at the doctors office one day - that we weren't giving the boys spicy stuff.  We wanted to be gentle on their little stomachs.  The doctor told us to give the boys spicy stuff, otherwise we would end up with picky eaters! 

From that point forward, we gave the boys anything and everything that we ate, and we have very good eaters.


One of my favorite quick restaurants is Chipotle.  They layer rice, beans, marinated chicken, salsa, cheese, and sour cream in a bowl and it is delicious.  I've made "Chipotle" bowls at home a few times using taco seasoning to flavor the chicken, but it never tastes the same.  A month or so ago, I wanted to try something different to flavor the chicken in my Chipole bowls.  I bought a can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, blended them in my mini chopper, and added them to my chicken. 

The first time I made them, I went easy on the peppers.  I hadn't used them before, and didn't want to get things too spicy.  I got a little braver the second time.  :-)

I put the boys Chipotle bowls together, and sat them on the table.  The boys dug in immediately, as rice, beans and chicken are some of their favorite foods.  I put bowls together for Brian and me, and we sat down at the table.  We said our prayer, then reached for our forks.

Brian took his first bite, chewed, then reached for his water!  "Wow - that's spicy.  Definitely got some bite to it", he said.  I looked at the boys after he said this, and they were nearly finished with their dinner.  The spice wasn't bothering them!  Who would have thought that 2 year olds would be able to handle spicier food than their dad?


No comments:

Post a Comment