Our Family

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Proud mom!

As you all know, Jackson has been going to therapy for nearly 3 months now to correct his Torticollis.  Every other week we take him to be evaluated, and they tell us what has improved, and what we need to work.  We are then responsible for doing therapy with Jackson each day.
With Jackson being a twin, after they point out things to work on, we usually go home, and watch what both of our boys are doing.  In most cases, we observe Lincoln, and he is doing things that Jackson struggles with.   As a parent, I am often times conflicted:  happy and excited to see Lincoln do things, but also sad that Jackson is struggling with his development.  We celebrate Lincoln's milestones, but try not to make a big deal that Lincoln does things first all the time. 
Today, I want to share a story from last night with you.
Before dinner, the boys were playing on the floor in the kitchen together.  Jackson was on his belly, spinning in circles (which was part of his therapy in the early stages - we had to make sure he was spinning in both directions).  This is how Jackson changes which direction he goes in.  Brian saw him spinning, and asked me why Lincoln had never really done that.  Should he have?  (See, we worry about both of them!)
I explained to Brian that it was ok that Lincoln hadn't ever done that, as pretty much from the start of his crawling, he had learned to transition into sitting.  Therefore, he didn't need to spin - he would sit up, and change directions.

For about a month and a half, as part of his therapy, we've been working on getting Jackson to transition from crawling into sitting.  So, seeing Jackson still spinning last night at dinner time, was a bit discouraging.  But that all changed an hour or so later. :-)
Last night was bath night.  For some reason, I decided to give the boys a bath in the big tub, instead of in their smaller one.  We've done this before, but with the boys being so mobile, it is quite a chore to get them cleaned up as they roll over, crawl and splash in the big tub.  But, last night I threw caution to the wind, and I couldn't be happier with my decision.
I gave Lincoln his bath first, and I was soaked and exhausted afterward.  But he sure had fun!
Jackson was next, and he was sitting in the tub to begin with.  He spotted the 2 little rubber duckies sitting on the edge of the tub, so down on all fours he went, and crawled over to get them.  Then, much to my surprise, he sat back down and played with them!  I couldn't hardly believe it at first...but then he did it again, and again.  Although the rest of bath time was a struggle to get him to lay down, sit still, etc. so I could get him clean, I was so happy and so proud!  He was finally doing it!
I noticed he was still doing it this morning.  First he crawled in to sit beside my feet while I was getting around for work.  And again when I was in the kitchen traying to pack my lunch.  This little guy has had a rough few months with his therapy and that stinking helmet (it really does get smelly - thank God for cooler weather coming), and I'm just so proud of the progress that he's made.  He continues to work very hard, and yet has mainedtained his happy demeanor throughout.  I just couldn't help but share my excitement with all of you.
I hope that you all are proud of your kids each day, as even the smallest little accomplishments are so amazing!
Love,
Kate, Brian, Lincoln and Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment