Our Family

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Saturday naps

Saturday afternoon naps have been a challenge for us for quite a while now.  Three years olds have so much energy, and they don't think they need to nap.  Parents of three years olds are tired, and need three year olds to nap.

Last month, my sister Rachelle and her daughter were in town for a soccer tournament.  They arrived shortly before noon, and we enjoyed a nice lunch and visit with them before they had to head off to Addison's soccer game.  Since we had visitors, the boys were later getting to nap time than usual.

Brian went out to mow the lawn.  I was extremely tired that day, so after I put the boys in their room for a nap, I tried to take a nap myself.  I heard them singing and talking (which isn't uncommon), but let them go.  It was probably about an hour later when I heard the most horrific noise - followed by both of the boys crying.

I raced down the hallway to see what had happened.  Their door was closed - and LOCKED!  I could hear them both crying, but couldn't get the door to open.  I begged them to open the door if they were able to.

Lincoln sheepishly unlocked the door, and I peered in to find Jackson standing in the middle of the room crying.  Then, I saw their big chest dresser in the corner with all the drawers pulled out leaning against the rocking chair that sits in front of it.  All of the boys things that were on top of the dresser were on the floor.

I put both of the boys in Jackson's bed, and went and set the dresser back upright.  I went back to the boys, checked for blood, asked if they were ok, and hugged them tight.  Once I knew that they were fine, I let them have it.

It seems, they thought it would be a great idea to lock the door, pull all the drawers out on the dresser, then climb up the drawers!  As they climbed higher, the weight pulled the top of the dresser over.  Thankfully the rocking chair was in front of the dresser or they could have been crushed.

The incident scared the boys pretty bad, as when I told them to go sit on the couch while I went and got daddy, they did exactly what I told them to without a word. 

Now, climbing up the dresser drawers has been added to the list of things we NEVER EVER DO...like skiing down slides!

No comments:

Post a Comment