Our Family

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What does it mean to be rich?

My entry today is inspired by my dad. :-)

Many people think that being rich is about how much money or how many possessions they have. However, in my eyes, my parents are the richest people on earth, and it has nothing to do with money or possessions.
In December, my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.
Throughout those 40 years, my parents have endured many life challenges. They have lost jobs, but still found a way to pay the bills . They have lost parents, and found a way to grieve while keeping the memories of their parents alive. They have watched their children grow up and move away, but still find time for weekend visits. My parents have survived, because they've always faced things together.
The month since my parents' anniversary hasn't been any different...they have faced their next struggle together.
On December 7, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer.
When they shared the news with us on their anniversary, Mom assured all of us that she didn't feel sick, and that the doctor was very confident that they had caught this early. She never said "if"...always said "when she beats this". I believe this was as much for her as it was for us, and it was definitely the attitude that we all needed to tackle this obstacle.
My mom had surgery on January 7, with my dad, my sisters and my brother at her side. She also knew that Rod and I would have given anything to be there with all of them, and we sent our love and prayers.
The day of the surgery was a stressful day for all, but we all survived by leaning on each other. Friday mom was talking a bit, sitting in a chair and making progress. Saturday she took a few steps. By Sunday, she was definitely on the road to recovery.
However, the best news came last night (Monday), when the doctor shared the results of the pathology report with mom - it was Stage 1. No chemo. No radiation.
God continues to bless our family with all the riches that we need. He's given my parents the opportunity to continue through life together, and to look forward to all that life has in store for their children and grandchildren.
For us, that's what it means to be rich.
How rich are you?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Thanks for a good cry this morning! Looking forward to seeing you in just over a week!

    ReplyDelete